Solar Design – 3D Modeling and Energy Estimation with Helioscope
Helioscope is a software program by Folsom Labs that includes all the features of PVSyst and adds the basic design functionality of AutoCad, allowing designers to do a complete design with one package. By combining streamlined layout tools with bankable energy simulations, HelioScope helps solar installers improve their design speeds by 5x-10x.
Helioscope is a web-based tool, so there’s no software to download and you can use it from any connected computer. Instead of downloading the software or buying the program, you pay a monthly or annual fee and thus access it from any computer system by simply logging into the Helioscope website. Helioscope’s features include 3D design, rapid proposals, bankable simulations, unlimited designs, single line diagrams, automatic CAD export, up to 5MW systems, component library, global weather coverage, PAN file support, shade reports and much more.
Helioscope is considered to be a software that is far simpler to use compared to PVSyst. As a software, Helioscope offers the best of both worlds where you can use a single software to carry out both energy estimations and create beautiful 3D model designs.
Key course takeaways
- Detailed software walkthrough
- Fixed tilt, flush mount and ground mount simulations
- Understand SLD creation
- Shade optimization of a project
- Report analysis, customization and more
- Independently perform Helioscope simulations
- Certificate of Completion after successfully clearing the course
- 8 hours+ of online video content
- Downloadable PDF files and exercise excel sheets
- Access to the instructor over WhatsApp and Mail for all your doubts and queries
- Course contents accessible for 45 days
Mr. Shalve Mohile, your instructor for this course, is a freelance solar PV design engineer with an experience of over 6 years in designing and building solar projects, with various system configurations including on-grid, off-grid and micro-grid systems.
With expertise over PVSyst, Helioscope, Aurora and AutoCAD, Mr. Shalve has previously worked as a design engineer with companies like Tata Power and the Ravin Group. As a freelance design engineer and consultant, he works with clients across India, Australia, US and Germany and is also an experienced trainer in the field.
- Basics of Site Assessment (Site feasibility and technical due diligence)
- Purpose and factors to consider.
- Desktop and On-Site Assessment.
- Understand the impact of solar irradiation, tilt angles and other variables on PV production.
- Overview, and comparison of various simulation software available.
- Advantages and disadvantages of using simulation software.
- Introduction to Helioscope.
- Basic algebra, geometry, and trigonometry calculations (e.g., area, slope, inter-row shading, wind loads)
- Key terminologies to be understood in Helioscope.
- Basic Overview.
- Walkthrough of helioscope.
- Creating a project.
- Creating a simple design using Helioscope.
- Field segment creation.
- Creation of Obstructions.
- Creation of Trees and estimating the height of shading objects.
- First simulation and understanding the simulation report
- Detailing of Helioscope design.
- Loss parameters.
- Fixed Tilt System Design.
- Flush mount system design.
- Ground Mount system Design.
- Using overlay feature in Heliscope
- Design using Multiple field segments
- Electrical design using helioscope
- SLD creation
- Cable sizing
- Exporting layout drawing to CAD.
- Getting Interval data in helioscope
- Importing horizon diagram
- Shade optimization
- Report Customization
Usage of audio-visual aid: Yes
Study material: Reading material and class recordings provided.
Post which, you will have 3 days` time to complete a 60 minute Online Test and submit a solved Case Study Assignment. The evaluation of the same will take 5-7 working days and results will be announced shortly after.